Friday, November 13, 2009

They say it's the most important meal of the day

I've come up with a new favorite for breakfast.



If I don't eat a good breakfast my mornings typically result in me staring blankly at the vending machine by 10 o'clock...and that never turns out well.

Lately I've been using a recipe that borrows from a few differnt sources. I really enjoy the breakfast burrito from Nancy Berkoff's Vegan Menu for People With Diabetes and I found a great recipe for a vegan sausage & "egg" sandwich on VegFamily Vegan Forums that is delicious.

After combing a little from both and a little something else, here is what I ended up with:

1 tube of polenta

1 package of extra firm tofu (diced)

2 tbs of white vinegar

1 tube of Vegan Sausage

1/2 package of hashbrowns

black salt

vegan cheese

10" tortillas

I prepared the polenta & tofu (as suggested by the recipe from the VegFamily Forum) by bringing the tofu, 2 tbs of vinegar & 6 cups of water to a boil for 2 minutes. I then drained the tofu and let it dry & cool on some paper towels for a few minutes. While the tofu was boiling I diced up the polenta into 1/2" wide pieces and microwaved them to soften them up a bit.

After all of that had cooled a little I mashed them together in a bowl.

I then broke the "sausage" up into bite sizes pieces and fried them up in some oil in a skillet over medium heat (maybe 5 minutes). When they were done I added the polenta & tofu mixture and let go for another 5 minutes stirring and blending together.

After this I took a half bag of hashbrowns and prepared them as suggested.

When all of this was done I mixed all of the ingredients together. I then placed a heaping serving spoonful of this mixture onto a tortilla with a little bit of nutritional yeast, some black salt, and some vegan cheese (I've been using Diaya lately).

I wrapped them up individually in some tin foil and I soon had enough for my wife & me for the rest of the week (about 10 in all).

4 days into this and I've yet to grow tired of them.

What I like best is the classics tastes from my childhood all wrapped up in a neat little package that really holds me over until lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment